Finding His Song


     My Uncle Morty insisted that the ukulele was invented by Jews in Eastern Europe.
     I am sure the Hawaiians would be thrilled to hear it.
     He said they called it a volfshreken…something that would scare a wolf away.  He had a beautiful one too, inlaid with mother of pearl, and made by his own grandfather Velvel.  I can just imagine him in the forest playing some Yiddish tune on it as the wolves at bay exchange frowns and paw the ground under the first snow. 
      But apparently I was missing the point.

     It was a year, my uncle began, in which Velvel was sick and the wolf was howling at the door.  This was not death calling exactly, maybe it was, but more likely the despair that can kill the spirit just as swiftly.  The sound was driving everyone crazy, especially Velvel himself trying to find inner peace as he felt that some sort of end was near.  It soon became clear that he needed something to mask the sound or he would lose his mind before his life.  He tried towels around the head, potato plugs in the ears, stomping of the boots endlessly but nothing worked.
     Velvel was a carpenter who had built many homes in the village but he was too weak or distracted to work, even though that may well have helped.  Instead he gathered his tools around him and some planks of poplar and bits of spruce, strings from an old piano, mother of pearl from a broken table.  With these in hand, Velvel began to construct.

     His wife, Adir, was surprised that he even had the energy or will to do it; his son Hershe wondered what he was up to but said nothing.  Velvel was a stubborn man, a careful man, and all day long and well into the night – when sounds echo so chillingly – he kept at it.
     He carved the body first, then bent the soaked wood that would form the side over the fire.  He cut the neck and carved grooves in it for the nails that would lay sideways across the surface.  Bridge, tuning pegs, piece by piece and one by one he made them all.  He had never made, never even touched, an instrument before but there and then this did not seem to matter in the least, nor did it stop him.  When he was ready to attach the strings he could barely hear the sound they made for the howling of the wolf at the door.  The time was near, he knew, and he quickened his pace.
     How did he know what he was doing? I asked my uncle.  I was a boy when he told me this and never thought to question the truth of the tale.  I wanted to believe then, and maybe even now too, that it was possible.  That some old coot sitting in a cottage in the middle of nowhere could make an instrument that might defeat that dismal shriek you hear just beyond the voice of reason.  I don't know how he knew, my uncle said, do you?  

     When he was done and the wolf had reached its moon-high pitch, Velvel took the uke in his hands and began to play and sing.  Cautiously at first, then daringly, and soon confidently.  As though he had played before in some other world.  What did he play? I asked my uncle.  What do you think? he asked me back.  No doubt it was some old folk tune but I was only nine and I was certain that it was Jailhouse Rock.
     And there he sits then, with the wolf suddenly perturbed and annoyed, singing rock and roll on his hand-made ukulele which is nothing more than a license to be heard, like the ticking clock that the Tin Man gets to acknowledge the heart that he already has.  In that heightened space, removed from the kind of time that fits and stalls, he inhabits a rhythmic plane that can leave sorrow out of reach, beyond the echo. 

     When I was older, my uncle gave me that very ukulele.  I still have it.  It is a gift beyond compare.  Gifts are not called presents by accident; they are about the promise of the moment and that is no small thing to believe in.  Music puts you there.  Like love or compassion or laughter, music is something worth living for.  You simply have to find the songs that sound like life to you.  We all have them and they make music a reason to go on, which is why we make it even in the least of places, even in the worst of times.
     I cannot tell you whether Velvel’s singing and playing sounded like crooning or howling.  No matter.  I know it was his way of living again.  I have tried it myself and it works even if only for the moment.
     The song fills the air. 
     The wolf whimpers.

No comments:

Post a Comment